SBX, Fair Trade Coffee & Me

Wherein it is learned that one can have one's coffee and write about it too. A blog-away-from-blog for coffee posts and the resulting "brew-haha."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasadena, California

Just a middle-aged guy from Pasadena, who woke up one morning to discover more and more sense in making green choices . . . and how easy it had become.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

No Challenge: Dirty Diapers and 'A Present For Me? Ah, You Shouldn't Have!'

Every Starbucks I've checked lately has been out of their Fair Trade blend, Cafe Estima, for awhile now. I've even had a couple go "check in back" for me, although not part of an official "Challenge." No joy. So as greenlagirl might say, what's up with that? Could it be that demand for FairTrade has been massively higher than SBX buyers anticipated, and they just can't keep it in stock? That would be my guess. (I prefer that over the thought that no one cares about the FT stock, so no one was paying attention.) But it doesn't do much for the "always available" claim when the stuff is out of stock in three, four, now FIVE stores in a row, neh?

S'okay, though -- our very own fille verte L.A. decided, along with cityhippy apparently, to give an early solstice prezzie to yours truly. Having turned my-life-as-a-Starbucks-dad into this blog, and taken excessive delight mysteriously menacing clueless baristas, I win the LA Challange Award . . . COOL!

Much appreciate both the prominent blog mention [Yay, hits! :-) ] and the promise of a said-to-be yummy package of Fair Trade Monkey & Son coffee. Thanks folks! I had an email chat with the Monkey, and was going to stop by for a taster, but, well, things being what things are, never got around to it! So, thank you folks -- I am gratified and humbled -- no, wait hungry! -- it's lunch time, and we are low on the organic coffee concoction we usually pick up at Trader Joe's, and my chemical free, non-GMO TJ brand burritos are getting cold. Thank you !

Speaking of TJ

Turns out, they do stock a triple certified Shade Grown, Organic, Fair Trade coffee. I forget the price, but it was similar to other coffees, but about 3 oz smaller. Yay, TJ.

Unfortunately, I really like the taste of the TJ brand organic; sigh. After Christmas, if we are a little more flush around here, we may have to try the "3-Way TJ" coffee.

Diaper's On the Other Foot

Happened to be merrily blogging away in Starbucks La Verne yesterday, when I heard a female voice in the distance ask "has that diaper changing table arrived yet?" I turned to see who might be asking about my second interesting Starbucks caper, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but the Big Boss and her laptop at a seat in the rear!

Hannah and I wandered over and tell her the bad news.

"I thought I heard someone say 'changing table' just now" I said, "and I have a special request."

"Yes," said the BigBoss warily, as the changing table obviously had been a special request in the first place.

"Go ahead and put the first one in the men's restroom after all. I've checked three times to see if you had gotten it into the ladies room, and have been glared at, yelled at, and called a bad name. I thought I was brave enough to use one in the women's restroom, but I guess not. "

She looked startled; I didn't give her a chance to say anything or try to explain why the more sexist placement was a better option. Hannah and I went back to our seat, and I promptly changed Hannah's warm, damp little diaper with her on my knees. In the middle of the store. With half of the customers talking to the "pretty baby," and the baristas all cooing and calling her by name and commenting on her nakedness. (Grin). I thought it was a pretty effective little demonstration myself. [Whistles innocently . . .]

We shall see what comes of it however.

Got so excited about the chance to fix the kind-but-sexist offer of a diaper changing table that I neglected to ask what was really on my mind, which is why are all your stores out of Fair Trade coffee?

As I contemplated my missed opportunity, I began to wonder -- if coffee is Organic, Shade Grown and Fair Trade, is the shade organic too? My guess: Yes. It would have to be, or the overspray and leaching would destroy the organic cert on the coffee. Ah, so much for a snarky tag line with which to end this No-Fair-Trade, Fair-Trade post . . .

***********************
Amused by the Starbucks Challenge? Me too. Now come see my real mission in the blogosphere: Easy Green and its companion journal, Observations, and such: Notes on the Kitchen Calendar

2 Comments:

Blogger Siel said...

J'aime mon nouvelle nom de plume --

7:12 PM, December 01, 2005  
Blogger Roger, Gone Green said...

Hmmm. Jamie is a "novel name for a plum" . . . but what does that have to do with Starbucks?

G, D&R

9:06 PM, December 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home