SBX, Fair Trade Coffee & Me

Wherein it is learned that one can have one's coffee and write about it too. A blog-away-from-blog for coffee posts and the resulting "brew-haha."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasadena, California

Just a middle-aged guy from Pasadena, who woke up one morning to discover more and more sense in making green choices . . . and how easy it had become.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

No Challange: But Fair Trade is Back in Stock, And SBX Is Helping Men Change (Diapers)

Fair Trade coffee is back at all my Starbuckses.

Maybe it was just a supply glitch, like I thought. I'm going to hold on to that, as my usual Starbucks haunts have all begun to stock Fair Trade again, their Cafe Estima blend. Since they all know the french press drill by now, that means instead of a mental "No Pass" every time I walk in these stores, I can chalk-up a mental "pass" and relax. Unless I see a new barista (wicked grin) or intentionally vary my routine to Challenge new stores!

Meanwhile, for all those who have asked, here is the next installment of "As The Diaper Turns." (If you are behind on this saga, start here: Diaper, Diaper, Who's Got the Diaper? then see Dirty Diapers and 'A Present For Me?' )

Yesterday Hannah and I were waiting out traffic as usual, and I was talking to the barrista who was busy cooing at my baby.

"See, the reason I keep asking about Fair Trade is there are over a hundred folks shopping just the Fair Trade then writing up their experiences online, part of an international check-up on some corporate claims. So every time you guys are out, and I write it up, it doesn't look so good."

"Oh!"

A few minutes later, the BigBoss walked in the door. "Hi Paula!" all the crew chimed in, one after another. Duly noted, then: the big boss is named Paula. Unfortunately, after yesterday, I may owe Paula an apology.

Shortly after BigBossPaula sat down at a table and began slinging binders and talking labor numbers and big meeting arrangements and more internal stuff with what appeared to be the store manager, the first barista scooted over, beaming, with a pound of Cafe Estima: "We just got it in!" she said, truly happy to bring me the good news.

"Cool!" I said; she cood at Hannah some more.

A few more minutes later BigBossPaula and the probable-manager started chatting about something personal, and Hannah cooed at them and I interjected a comment. BBPaula mentioned that she had two kids, aged 1 and 4 years; that her husband had been a stay at home dad until just recently (Did I call her sexist in a prior post? Oops.) , and that the changing table was in the back room. As she got up to go confirm that fact, I asked which restroom she was going to put it in.

"Oh well, I guess we should put the first one in the men's restroom." Cool! "Then we'll order another one for the ladies' room."

Ahhh. Didn't even get to savor my blow for equality. Ah well, I think I did call her unconsciously sexist. Sorry about the assumptions BBP, but you really do want to keep a close eye on that ol' subconscious. It's a devil, and it wants to keep women in "their" place. (Grin.)


***********************
Amused by the Starbucks Challenge? Me too. Now come see my real mission in the blogosphere: Easy Green and its companion journal, Observations, and such: Notes on the Kitchen Calendar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home