SBX, Fair Trade Coffee & Me

Wherein it is learned that one can have one's coffee and write about it too. A blog-away-from-blog for coffee posts and the resulting "brew-haha."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasadena, California

Just a middle-aged guy from Pasadena, who woke up one morning to discover more and more sense in making green choices . . . and how easy it had become.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Nine (9) Failures in a Row! or Monrovia's Monster Mistake

This is so unbelievable its -- well its unbelievable. I have gone to nine Starbucks in a row since my last published Challenge with every single one an unmitigated FAILURE.

NINE!!!

And this includes my favorite stores and stores I have terrorized before, and stores that have passed before and even baristas who've passed before!!!

* Sigh. *

About 10 days ago, when I'd had a "run" of three Challenge failures, I vowed to wait until I had a success to brag about even if disappointed with the lack of awareness in some stores. But the loses mounted, and store after store had no clue at all about Fair Trade, about Starbucks posted policy or worse: Tried to pass off ordinary coffee as Fair Trade.

I went to stores in Pasadena (several) Monrovia, LaVerne (several) and various LA County locations in between. No joy. Here is a typical experience for this month, from Monrovia on January 13, at 3:40 PM, written in the store and saved as a draft entry via WiFi, so the memory was fresh.

**********************

LOCATION: Monrovia

621 W. Huntington Drive
Monrovia CA, 91016 United States

It was nice day in the San Gabriel Valley, and, for me a rare event, I strode into the Starbucks without Miss Hannah, who was home with her mom. Thus unencumbered, I casually asked for my usual "Venti Fair Trade drip, please."

The tall Monrovia partner-boy looked puzzled, then scared. He rang up my sale, and poured me a cup of coffee.

"What's this?" I asked, knowing full well that FT Estima was on display out front but not on brew.

"Uh Guatemalan, uh mumble mumble, " said he.

"Is it Fair Trade?" asked I.

"Mumble mumble," said he. "Cough."

My inner Middle School Teacher took over.

"No. Its not," I said sharply. "Cafe Estima is your only certified Fair Trade blend. Please read the Scoop, ask your manager and your regional manager about the policy on fair trade."

I was curt, to say the least. The partner looked stunned.

"I'm sorry, but you are the fourth store in a row with this problem, and it is pretty discouraging. Just check out Fair Trade so you guys are up on it, ok? "

"Uhm, okay."

"Thanks. " Then, more, "Can I have a triple Grande Mocha, then? "

"Uh, okay."

"Whole milk, extra whip," I added sullenly, feeling suddenly depressed by the whole episode. Serve 'em right if I dropped dead of clogged arteries on the spot.






***********************
Amused by the Starbucks Challenge? Me too. Now come see my real mission in the blogosphere: Easy Green and its companion journal, Observations, and such: Notes on the Kitchen Calendar

4 Comments:

Blogger Siel said...

Still feelin' positive about our meeting with the LA managers?

I'll give Pat a call tomorrow. Jesus -- This is just ridic.

8:19 PM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Roger, Gone Green said...

So.
What did Pat say?

Sigh.

6:19 AM, February 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm a Starbucks barista doing a little online "research" as to what is actually going on regarding Starbucks and fair trade. Also, I'm still a bit unclear as to what our actual prices for non-fair trade coffees are, and how the farmers are actually being "treated". So far, it looks like there has been virtually no academic studies on the matter, at least none that turn up on a google search.

Can I offer a bit of constructive criticism? It sounds like you were a bit harsh with this poor ignorant barista you encountered. I wasn't there, so I can't say you were a total asshole, but I think that there is a more respectful way to inform people. I'll be the first to admit that many Starbucks partners aren't trained very well, but that's no reason to take out all your agression against a corporation on some poor sucker who is just working the register. Just my insider view. I'm not sure how blogger works, but my e-mail is vinomazzei@yahoo.com if you care to respond.

9:00 AM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger Roger, Gone Green said...

Harsh? No.
Unforgiving? Yes.

Most of the time I scan like someone I'm not; combination of how I look, the use of certain tones of voice, upbeat use of terms of art and reference to in house people or publications. Most probably think I am someone in the SBX org, although I NEVER say so.

But then they can't place me, so it is just a mystery.

The negative reaction is more like an 8th grader caught with a firecracker at school than a self-confident barista confronted by a jerk customer.

Shrug.

You had to be there.

8:53 PM, February 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home